The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness …
We’ve had that boss who never acknowledges effort, the friend who constantly asks for favors but never makes it seem worth it, and we’ve all experienced rudeness and indifference from strangers. While there’s nothing you can do about how others act, you can set a good example by being the change you want to see.
The best way to get more people on board with showing appreciation is to do it yourself.
Appreciation is all about understanding. When you show your appreciation to someone, you are thanking them, but you’re also telling them that you understand what they have done. If somebody appreciates us than there will be nothing else which makes us more happy then it … Everyone wants to feel appreciated … Appreciation means showing respect and understanding and gratitude … Admiring someone for their good work …
Let me share a story with you to explain this: There was a lady staying at my neighbourhood. She had a son of 9 Years old. Her son too was quite intelligent but little slow in doing work. Her mom had undying love for her son. But the only problem was she had lots of expectations from him which was little bit difficult for the son to complete. And as the son was a little bit slow in his work he couldn’t complete all her expectations … This disappointed his mother many a times …
She used to often get angry on him and scold him badly … But whenever she scolded her son she used to regret it later on … This troubled her a lot and it made her sad often … She badly wanted to find a solution for this … One day she met one of her friend and shared her story with her … Her friend gave her a solution. She told her that “kids need appreciation for their little works. If you appreciate your child then he will take interest in all his work and will complete his work on time“. The lady tried the solution. She started appreciating him in small things. This boosted his confidence and he started taking interest in his work. And now the son completes all his work on time. Today the lady is a very happy mother and all her expectations are fulfilled …
This story shows us that how feeling genuinely appreciated lifts people up. At the most basic level, it makes us feel safe, which is what frees us to do our best work. It’s also energizing. When our value feels at risk, as it so often does, that worry becomes preoccupying, which drains and diverts our energy from creating value?
We often are helped by somebody or the other but we don’t know how to thank and appreciate them for their work. Let me help you with this. Here are some ways to appreciate someone who has done a favor for you:
- Write a thank you note. Sure, it takes a bit more effort and your penmanship is probably terrible from a lack of use, but this little effort goes a long way.
- Acknowledge them publicly. If someone has made a big difference in your life, raise a glass and make a toast to honor that special person. Everyone loves a moment in the sun, so why not give them one.
- Spend time with them.If you have a friend who got you through a really difficult time or you want to acknowledge a special family member who did a fantastic job raising you, spend some time with them. They obviously love you, and sharing that time together will be an incredible gift.
- Add details when thanking them.Saying “thanks” is great, but if you really want to show your appreciation, fully recognize their efforts. “Thank you so much for getting up early to help me load up the moving truck. I know it wasn’t fun, but I really do appreciate it!”
- Give them something of yours that you think they would enjoy, and let them know specifically why you want them to have it.
- Compliment them give them a compliment on a talent, skill, or strength that you admire.
- 7. Encourage them to try something you know they want to try,but haven’t yet because they’re scared.
We all need to be better at some things. In the end, we want appreciation too and our effort to appreciate others will inspire them in life, so they can be better at what they do.
( International Trainer, Motivator & Coach
Edexcel Level – 4 Btec Professional Award ( UK)
ITOL Diploma in Coaching Excellence (UK) )